- About Us
- Best Practice
- Contact Us
Green Hotelier was thrilled to be at the Considerate Hotelier Awards in the Landmark Hotel, London, earlier this month. A Green Hotelier 2013 runner up, The Green House Hotel in Bournemouth, won the top award and was announced ‘Hotel of the Year 2013’. 'Considerate Small Accommodation Provider of the year' also went to a Green Hotelier runner up, the innovative Bryn Elltyd Eco Guest House in Wales.
The awards are led by the group Considerate Hoteliers to celebrate the best in environmental, sustainable and socially responsible performance in the hospitality sector. Until now the awards have been for properties in the UK, but this year there was an international presence, reflecting Considerate Hotelier's recent expansion overseas. Although there is a heavy concentration of Considerate Hotelier members at the awards, they are open to all green accommodations.
The 2013 winners of the nine categories were duly honored during a Gala lunch highlighting each and everyone’s efforts and initiatives in all areas ‘considerate’. Out of all the many applications received the judges, who included personalities from all different kinds of sectors within the hotel as well as sustainability arena, had a hard time in choosing winners, as all of them merit recognition for their hard work.
Nevertheless the winners were decided upon, and Considerate Hoteliers is delighted to announce:
1. Considerate Hotel of the Year 2013 – The Green House, Bournemouth. Highly commended – Soho Hotel, London. (Sponsored by Veolia Environmental Services)
2. The Considerate Small Accommodation Provider of the Year – Bryn Elltyd Eco Guest House, Snowdonia, Wales
3. The Considerate Green Team of the Year – The Savoy, London (Sponsored by Beacon Purchasing)
4. The Considerate Green Champion of the Year – Dave Bell, Chief Engineer, Park Plaza Westminster Bridge (Sponsored by Gram, UK)
5. The Considerate Sustainable Food Award – Montagu Arms, Beaulieu (supported by Sustain)
6. The Considerate International Hotel of the Year – Guldsmeden, Copenhagen, Denmark (Sponsored by Gilchrist & Soames)
7. The Considerate Accessible Hotel of the Year – Four Seasons London on Park Lane
8. The Considerate Green Suppliers of the Year – National: Vertue (Beds). Local: Foodspeed
9. Best Green/Considerate Marketing Initiative – Trenython Manor Hotel, Cornwall
Additionally the special Considerate Award ‘The Good Egg’ was handed to Richard Slade, owner and Manager of Battlested’s Hotel & Restaurant, which was also the Considerate Hotel of the Year in 2011.
This award recognizes those in the hospitality business who have inspired and encouraged others to embrace certain principles of life relating to environmental, sustainable and socially responsible performance. Additionally, if people give help to others to achieve excellence in what they do, then CH believes that they are thoroughly deserving of the ‘Good Egg Award’.
Commenting on this year’s Awards, John Firrell MIH, Executive Director of Considerate Hoteliers said
We are delighted to have added two new categories this year which truly reflects our future direction. The International Considerate Hotel of the Year supports our intent to widen CH’s horizons and the Considerate Accessibility Award consolidates our belief that being considerate means an all inclusive approach to the care of guests. Each year, entrants show their innovation, dedication and passion via their ever increasing
excellent standard of submissions. I am proud to say this year has been no different.