Hospitality Action Week gets underway
Hospitality Action Week in Stoke on Trent
Hospitality Action Week 2013 kicked off this week, and supporters up and down the country have been doing their bit to raise much-needed funds for the charity
Here’s a snapshot of what the industry has already been up to, and will be embarking on over the next few days:
- Rob Hinsley and Dave Moss from the hospitality and catering department at Stoke on Trent College will be completing a week of fundraising events at the college by putting their culinary skills to the test in a head-to-head challenge on Friday. They will be preparing a three-course lunch, live in front of diners, and will also answer questions as they cook. Other activities at the college have included bake sales and a guess-the-weight-of-the-cake competition
- Private hire taxi operator Manchester Cars is donating 20p to Hospitality Action for every journey booked during HA Week. With the hospitality industry generating hundreds of millions of pounds for the Manchester economy every year, the firm is keen to support HA Week
- University College Birmingham hosted a chocolate-themed night on Wednesday, with a four-course meal devised by four renowned Barry Callebaut chocolate ambassadors, including Michelin-starred chef Alan Murchison
- City of Bristol College with The Chefs' Forum kicked off the week of fundraising activities by rowing the equivalent distance of a round trip from London to Paris to raise money. The 250 miles were rowed in the surrounds of one of the college restaurants by a total of 30 students, with each taking turns to row 30 minutes on an exercise rowing machine. The challenge has raised the money in conjunction with David Lloyd Bristol, who loaned the team two state-of-the-art rowing machines for the activity
- The Chesterfield Mayfair hotel is putting together three teams to cook their national dishes in a charity competition this week, with contributions from members of staff from Zimbabwe and South Africa, the Philippines and Italy. Staff will then be voting for their favourite
- London’s Hotel Cavendish is making the most of British Sandwich Week coinciding with Hospitality Action Week by donating £2 from each sandwich sold, and is asking for customers to decide the filling with an online vote.
- Red Carnation hotels is embarking on a 5k run around London today
From country pubs to boutique hotels, catering colleges to contract caterers, hospitality workers from across the country are being asked to show their commitment to the fantastic industry they work in. The money raised over the seven days will go towards helping some of the most vulnerable members of the hospitality industry.
If you've been taking part in some activity for Hospitality Action week and its not mentioned above then we'd love to hear from you on Twitter or Facebook.
Hospitality Action CEO Penny Moore says: “It’s fantastic to see such innovative ideas from our supporters during our most important fundraising week of the year. I’m delighted with the efforts so far and look forward to seeing what you all come up with as the week draws to a close!”
Find out more at www.hospitalityaction.org.uk/haweek