Thousands of InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG®)  colleagues from more than 750 hotels and corporate offices across 75 countries took part in this year’s Race Around the World event, raising more than $200,000 for IHG’s disaster relief programme, IHG Shelter In a Storm .
The week-long event aims to raise awareness of the Shelter in a Storm programme as well as raising funds through a range of activities. Race Around the World takes place annually and IHG colleagues are encouraged to pledge and take part in as many different activities as they can outside of their daily routines.
This year their combined efforts raised more money than ever, ensuring IHG can roll out their disaster relief at hotels affected by extreme weather events or other natural disasters, providing shelter and respite to those affected.
Around the world, activities included:
- The IHG Board joined IHG Academy participants for a walk round London’s Hyde Park.
- More than 300 people from the corporate offices and hotels in Shanghai supported Greater China CEO, Kenneth Macpherson, and Greater China COO, Justin Channe, as they embarked on a four-day, 400km cycle ride from Shanghai to Nanjing.
- IHG Shelter in a Storm partner, CARE International, tasked teams from IHG’s Denham, UK, headquarters to build the best shelter possible within 20 minutes.
- Teams from the global and Europe teams joined forces for a cycle ride from the Holiday Inn London, Brentford Lock to the Holiday Inn Brighton, Seafront.
- Chef Alfonso from the Crowne Plaza Dubai - Deira hotel oversaw a ‘cook-off’ at the Dubai corporate office, with teams of three creating delicious dishes for celebrity judges to sample.
- Staff at the Holiday Inn Nashville-Vanderbilt (Dwtn), US, challenged the hotel General Manager to a series of table tennis matches.
- The InterContinental Hanoi Westlake organised a range of activities for colleagues and guests including a week-long charity fair, inviting guests and colleagues to ride an exercise bike in the lobby, a treasure hunting game around the city, IHG Hanoi Sport Day co-hosted with Crowne Plaza West Hanoi and joining a local charity run.
Kate Gibson, Vice President Corporate Responsibility, said, “We are hugely excited to have engaged record numbers of colleagues in IHG Race Around the World this year. We encouraged our colleagues to participate in any way they could and saw a huge amount of fun and creativity in the activities our people pledged to take part in.
“It is always fantastic to see our colleagues coming together globally to raise awareness and funds for IHG Shelter in a Storm, which helps us prepare our hotels to act quickly and decisively to support guests, colleagues and local communities when disaster strikes.”
Adam McDonald, General Manager of InterContinental Hanoi Westlake said, “We believe this is an important initiative to make a difference to our local communities who face hardship from time to time. We again look forward to hearing the amazing stories of how these funds are immediately directed to support people around the world.”
Shelter in a Storm is IHG’s disaster relief programme and is funded through the IHG Shelter Fund. It is one of the group’s three core CR initiatives and guides hotels through the best way to respond when disaster strikes, telling them how to draw on funds available through the IHG Shelter Fund, which can be released at a moment’s notice to provide financial help, vital supplies or somewhere warm and safe to stay.
For more on IHG’s environmental and social responsibility initiatives and to see their latest Responsible Business Report visit – www.ihg.com/responsibility