- About Us
- Best Practice
- Contact Us
Team Members from over 900 properties and offices completed projects between 6th – 12th October including resumé building and mentoring of youth, refurbishment of schools and community centres, preservation of cultural landmarks, river and park clean-ups, meal preparation and the creation of community gardens and green spaces.
Global Week of Service is Hilton Worldwide’s largest annual volunteer service initiative and brings together team members from across Hilton’s corporate offices and hotel properties, helping to strengthen the company’s connections with its communities and bringing it closer together as a global team. The projects focus on engaging team members and delivering on Hilton’s commitment to Travel with Purpose by creating opportunities, strengthening communities, celebrating cultures and living sustainably.
During the Global Week of Service, team members were encouraged to share their personal stories of service and hospitality through a variety of channels. Photos and were posted at www.hiltonworldwide.com/serve, on the Hilton Worldwide Facebook page and on the Twitter account.
“Our second annual Global Week of Service exceeded our goals, allowing us to make an even greater impact on the communities where we live, work and travel,” said Christopher J. Nassetta, president and chief executive officer, Hilton Worldwide. “Exceptional service is at the core of what we deliver every day for millions of guests around the world, and Hilton Worldwide’s Global Week of Service is another opportunity for us to bring our Team Members together and celebrate our passion to serve.”
To help facilitate Global Week of Service and other volunteer projects across its global footprint, Hilton Worldwide leverages the Purpose Portal, a customised volunteer tool that connects team members with projects and organisations in their communities and recruits volunteers for thousands of organisations around the world. The platform also provides resources for the company’s global network of thousands of community and sustainability champions and volunteer project organisers enabling Hilton to empower team members to take a leadership role in planning activities not only for its Global Week of Service, but year-round.
Throughout Global Week of Service, Hilton’s network of partners including Points of Light, Hilton in the Community Foundation, Global Soap Project and Feeding America plus more than 1,300 local community organisations supported the company’s team members as they participated in community service projects around the globe.
In 2012, during their inaugural Global Week of Service, team members at more than 600 properties and offices completed more than 800 volunteer projects in 401 cities across the company’s global footprint.
Figures on the number of projects undertaken during Global Week of Service 2013 are currently being finalised, but it is known that once again, hundreds of events took place, some examples of which include:
- Shanghai, China: More than 50 Hilton Worldwide Team Members worked with school children to clean up the Shanghai Nanhui Beach. Volunteers collected 782 pounds of rubbish which was repurposed to create art work that will be displayed at Hilton’s Corporate Offices in Shanghai. To mark their time together, volunteers and participating youth created time capsules filled with event items and will open them together in 100 days.
- Tokyo, Japan: More than 70 Team Members joined forces and spent the day clearing away hundreds of pounds of rubbish and cleaning pathways following the summer hiking season at Mt. Fuji. Together with community partner Fujisan Club, an environmental nonprofit organisation dedicated to protecting and restoring the natural habitat of Mt. Fuji, volunteers helped preserve the national landmark which hosts more than 300,000 climbers annually. Preservation efforts of this national landmark are imperative for it to retain its World Heritage status with UNESCO
- London, United Kingdom: John Greenleaf, global head of DoubleTree by Hilton, along with more than 60 DoubleTree by Hilton team members from eight properties across London, participated in a cleanup along a tributary of the Thames. The project was held in partnership with Thames21, the United Kingdom's leading waterway charity, and brought fifty students from a local school to work alongside volunteers. Together, volunteers and students removed 48 bags of litter and overgrowth, and planted trees along two estuaries. Team members also beautified a garden that will be utilised by students as an outdoor classroom.
- Dubai, United Arab Emirates: Rudi Jagersbacher, Area President for Hilton Worldwide Middle East and Africa and Team Members from the Middle East Regional Office partnered with the Al Garhoud National Charity School to refurbish and renovate two science laboratories. Volunteers laid new floors, cleaned, painted and installed new laboratory benches donated by Hilton Worldwide Team Members.
- Watford, England: Simon Vincent, President, Europe, Middle East and Africa for Hilton Worldwide, joined more than 130 Hilton Watford corporate office volunteers as they helped transform local Breakspeare School - painting and improving the outer walls, cleaning the popular hydrotherapy pool area and creating a raised garden.
- McLean, Virginia: In addition to assembling food packs at headquarters, Hilton team members volunteered at the Food for Others warehouse - sorting, shelving, and packing boxes of food for distribution to vulnerable families in the area. More than 3,000 pounds of food along with inspirational messages were packed into 1,015 food packs and 75 emergency food kits.
- Orange County, California: Embassy Suites team members from seven properties throughout Orange County made their community service matter by joining forces to volunteer with the Orange County Food Bank. More than 30 volunteers prepared 1,290 boxes filled with non-perishable foods and toiletries for distribution to local families in need.
- Miami, Florida: More than 30 Hilton Worldwide Miami Regional Office team members helped transform a warehouse space for approximately 100 Life of Freedom Center residents. The three day long "extreme makeover," which benefits the female survivors of human trafficking and sexual exploitation, included painting and creating distinct functional areas for relaxation, learning, dining and entertainment. The Miami team also made a significant donation of items the facility needs to provide the care and education that support the survivors the Center serves.
- Bogota, Colombia: 50 Team Members kicked-off Global Week of Service with Hands on Bogota to refurbish the organisation's after school facilities. From installing cork-boards throughout eight of the school's classrooms to painting two picnic tables and replacing basketball hoops, volunteers helped make a lasting impact on the schools infrastructure for the more than 570 students who attend the after school programme.
Travel with PurposeTM is Hilton Worldwide's corporate responsibility commitment to providing shared value to its business and communities in four areas - creating opportunities for individuals to reach their full potential; strengthening communities where Hilton Worldwide operates; celebrating cultures and the power of travel; and living sustainably through the measurement, analysis and improvement of the company's use of natural resources.